Thursday, March 10, 2016

One Night at the Fairmont Royal York Courtesy of $INN.UN

ryh-0000429621-fairmont-king-room

InnVest REIT (INN.UN) owns a large portfolio of hotels throughout most of Canada.

The Fairmont Royal York is a fancy hotel found in the down town Toronto core; and as of my last search a one night booking for Friday March 11 will cost $171 CAD (taxes and fees not included).

The current monthly distribution is $0.0333 per share. Theoretically, with 5,136 shares you could earn one night's stay and at today's price of $5.29. 5,136 shares would require $27,169.44.

Ok, maybe not entirely reachable for all investors, but currently I hold 2,012 shares at an average cost of $5.148 and yielding 7.76%. This gives me a total monthly distribution of $67.00. At my present holding every three months I could book one nights stay. Of course I've set my INN.UN re-invest and over time as my holding increases my distributions will also increase.

It is interesting, fun, and tangible to see the possible ways one could make use of distributions. This is especially true if you use the products and services offered by the company in which you've invested.

Later I will post an example from my portfolio of how long term dividend investing starts to pay off big time.

No comments:

Post a Comment